By Jan Porch l May 20, 2026
IBADAN — The family of Michael Oyedokun, the teacher abducted during fulani terrorist attack on schools in Oyo State and later killed, has described his death as a devastating loss, revealing that he died childless after more than a decade of marriage.
Oyedokun was among teachers and pupils kidnapped from Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, in Oriire Local Government Area during coordinated attacks carried out by armed assailants last Friday. Days after the abduction, reports emerged confirming that the teacher had been killed by his captors.
Speaking with SaharaReporters, a relative of the deceased, Ebeni Adediran, said the late teacher was widely respected within the family and community for his humility, peaceful character, and dedication to education. The family described his death as “an irreplaceable loss,” saying the emotional pain had been worsened by the fact that he left no children behind despite being married for over 10 years.
According to the relative, Oyedokun devoted more than two decades of his life to teaching and remained committed to helping students in rural communities despite worsening insecurity in the area. His parents are reportedly still alive and have been devastated by the tragedy.
The killing has intensified outrage across Oyo State following the recent wave of attacks targeting schools and rural communities. Residents in affected areas have accused authorities of failing to provide adequate security despite repeated warnings about growing terrorist and bandit activity in parts of the South-West.
The family also appealed to Nigerians to stop circulating disturbing videos and images allegedly showing the murdered teacher. Relatives said the repeated sharing of graphic footage on social media has deepened the family’s trauma during an already painful mourning period.
The incident is part of a broader security crisis unfolding in Oyo State, where terrorists recently attacked multiple schools in communities including Ahoro-Esiele, Yawota, and Oko Ile. Several pupils, teachers, and residents were abducted during the raids, forcing authorities to relocate some students preparing for national examinations to safer areas.
Security concerns have continued to rise across southwestern Nigeria in recent months as kidnappings, armed attacks, and school abductions spread into areas previously considered relatively secure. Community leaders and civil society groups have increasingly called for stronger regional security coordination to prevent further escalation.
